On May 20th, June 4th, and June 11th the fifth-grade classes will be taking field trips to the Rogue Nature Preserve near Sams Valley. On these days, we plan to leave campus at 9:15 a.m. and we will return to school at 12:40 p.m. In order to maximize our brief time at the Preserve, students will be provided with a snack at the Preserve. When we return to school, students may pick up a sack lunch from the cafeteria to take home to eat. Here’s a list of the gear your child will need to bring on our field trip days:
- long pants (There’s a lot of poison oak at the preserve!)
- a long-sleeved shirt (for sun protection and/or poison oak protection)
- comfortable shoes for hiking (sandals are not appropriate)
- a quart of drinking water (there’s no drinking water at the preserve)
- a backpack for carrying water and any extra clothing layers
- sunscreen, hat, and sunglasses
- work gloves (optional but highly recommended)
The kids will be hiking to one of three “stations,” and during each of the three visits, the stations will change. Over the three trips, kids will be bird watching, identifying native plant species, taking water samples, nature journaling, orienteering, learning how to skip rocks, and performing stewardship tasks.
Students took home permissions slips and liability forms on Friday the 14th, but if you didn;t get them, click here. Both the school’s permission slip and the Preserve’s liability form are required to attend. If you have any questions, please reach out via email, ParentSquare, or phone. Thanks!